2003: The year I became an Engineer

Studying from an not so popular town (*not city) with mainly 2-3 restaurants worth eating at, with movies being the only saviour, at 3-4 single screen theatres and a joint near college called "Maurya" which served a pathetic Rs. 6 coffee (*but served the purpose) would be main locations which I would identify with my years spent pursuing engineering.
From a convent education background from Ahmedabad, which is a major city in every sense, where "hanging" out with girls and boys together, going for late night parties and Navratris was a sharp contrast with respect to 'life' at Dhule.


I had got a rude culture shock (since all the above mentioned activities were highly looked down upon) when I started realising where I had landed and this is what my future moments would be comprised of....o_O ...Well, for starters, I was simply horrible at studies... simply horrible. Words cannot describe it. Wanted to be an architech. Had cleared the entrance for CEPT, Ahmedabad and JJ College of Arts, Mumbai but my dad was adamant that I pursue Engg (*sigh!!!!). Was more of people's person and without any discrimination made myself a lot of acquaintainces (*who I thought were friends). Well, there were a lot a teething problems but had not been for my cousin, adjusting to a life overthere would have been difficult. I learnt to make friends fast... well - I made enemies faster :-P. Enginnering hostel life taught me a lot. From being an easy going, non chalant character, I became a "relatively" cautious and a quiet person (People who know me know would not agree!!! :-)). I learnt to be on my own, I learnt to stand up for my beliefs and what I thought was right (but what may actually be wrong !!!).
There a lot of people who made a very strong impression on me when I was in college....Many of my "best" friends, I am yet in touch with (Thank God!!!). Many of my "acquaintances", I am yet in touch with o_O :-)
Many of my friends which I made there, are not a part of my life now....I realise that they can be easily traceable on Facebook or Orkut...but I lack the incentive and the initiative... But I am happy, everyone's at peace in their own world...settled...

Alka: We have a history :-). When I say history, it is one. There have been phases in our relationship. A phase where we have been roomies, a phase where we have been on a cold war, when we fought, when we flunked, when we were in the opposite "warring" groups :-P, when we were at each other's throat, and also when we spent 10 days together at Pune going from MG Road, FC Road to Lonavla :-), when she was working in Pune and I was studying in Pune.., when she got married, when I went to Mumbai (at her "sasural"), when she flew to Cannada...when she keeps coming back to India intermittently...:-) ... we've spent 12 long and wonderful years going through these phases...and I cherish the relationship we share!!! She is now based out of Toronto, Cannada and has a loving husband and extremely pretty daughter.

Seena: :-). She is such a darling. My coolest friend from T.E.. She is been one of my pillars of strength in the 3rd and the final year. I have relished the Mallu food at her place for 3 weeks in row and God, I cannot forget those gastromically delicious days, that to date I still remember those 3 weeks. She has married Rajanikanth Rao, my senior from college, an amazing guy, very witty and very smart...and what a sense of humour. They have a beautiful daughter and are settled in Bangalore.
Geetika: She has been one of my best buddies, my roomie for 2 years and the most funny and fun loving person. Have spent a great amount with her and Parminder (then boyfriend, now husband). A very very close friend. These two were my "backing" in college :-). We had a fall out in the last days of college but we got back in touch (thanks to her - my inflated and misplaced "ego" does not allow me to call people) a couple of years back.

Manjusha: Ho ho....Manjusha Singh became my guardian in College. She was my senior. We used to hang out quite a bit in college. She was one girl from whom even the guys were scared of taking panga from!!!! hehehe...But ya, she has a very peculiar habit of dissappearing from the horizon now and then...She is now in Mumbai... We meet on and off...and yes - I would really like her to married and settled down :-).

Himani: I knew her from childhood. My first roomie, Ahmedabad buddy, family friend. Our folks have known each other since the last 30 years. We came to this college together. We really didnt hit it off at the beginning, but over a period of time found our spaces with each other. She shares her birthday with my mom's and BTW, my mom suggested her name "Himani".

Bhawani: My buddy. The guy with whom I used to hang out with. Rumours floated amok. Then GF didnt like me. I didnt like her. We "separated"..... We got back in touch in the last year of my college and till date, we've been friends.... :-) I thought, he is going to  be an eternal bachelor...but thankfully, he has been hooked by the right girl in 2010 and is roaming the world with her :-).

Vikalp: I really dont know what to tell about him. Well, the guy is just there. Always, ready to listen, ready to give advice and yes - ready to eat (dont mean MTR, he is a hard core foodie). He is a "binder"... "glue".... if you know what I mean.... He "made" Geetika and me talk :-O :-) and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for this. God bless. He is married and has a good looking hunk for a son :-).

Babbli: My Manipuri friend. She left her engineering mid-way and dissappeared. But now I am back in touch with her again after a long gap of over approximately 7 years (maybe). She traced me on Orkut. She now works and lives in Noida.
Urvashi: I cannot cherish my memories of college without cherishing the relationship I had with Urvashi. She was my confidant. My problem solver. My agony aunt. My Mirror. My friend. We had a fallout (my fault). We never got back together again (my fault, my inflated ego, etc). I think I feel the void sometimes, but with time, I guess things..fade....
Puchu: My cousin. The reason my father could trust me in a strange land. I never thought we'd become friends. But then I never thought, a fight between us would turn ugly that even now after like 10 years... we dont talk. We "communicated" once or twice maybe, but then that was it. My mom keeps taunting me about it... but even that does not do any wonders.... I guess we just went on our different paths... I guess we both were stubborn...egoistic...(maybe)...
Pritesh: Nice guy. Been a good friend. But he found it hard to understand that a No means No. Would have been good to be friends with him though... but I am kinda out of touch...
There were a lot of other names... lot of other faces which I remember....lot of other events, happenings ....which is difficult to write about all in one go.... Regret not maintaining a diary...But over a period of time, as and when I remember, will keep posting...

There are a lot of people who came, impressed a thought and left..... They are one of my innumerable contacts on Facebook.... I know whats happening in their lives.... I keep commenting or "liking" stuff...give my contribution....and revel in the thought that "hey, we are in touch".... but its just not the same.... I guess, time flies...leaves a footprint...some are cast in stone...some in sand....some are washed away.... with time....
2003, shall and will always be an important chapter of my life!!!!

1 comment:

  1. hmm.what shall i say..their is much more to it..
    but very very nice attempt to shrink in a small blog.

    Highly appreciated..

    ReplyDelete